Monday, February 18, 2013

Meeting Roy G. Biv

Have you ever met Roy G. Biv? I remember when I first heard about him. I was five years old in my first year of school, sitting on my carpet square watching my teacher write his name on the board. I had an uncle named Roy, but I couldn't imagine calling anybody Mr. Biv. It sounded weird. But the more she told us about him, the more certain I was that I'd seen him around. A colorful fellow and often associated with hope and promise, Mr. Biv is the color spectrum of the rainbow: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, and Violet. Maybe you've seen him around as well?
I ran into him again last night when I was sorting a little packet of beads I'd rediscovered. Funny how he pops up all full of cheer and color when the only light coming through my skylight is moonlight. Funny how he can give you an idea and grant his own travel wish at the same time. What a handy skill; I'll have to work on that one...
Prompted by a memory of Tamara's creations, I used what I had on hand to make two little elastic necklace and bracelet sets for two little girls across the ocean. Mr. Biv was a bit sad to be broken in half, but was otherwise thrilled by the thought of an overseas adventure. Besides, he knows that when those two little sisters wear their flowers and stand next to each other, he'll be put together again, and what a vision of cheer and color that will be!
 These were a spontaneous addition to the box I'm sending to my nieces. All sorts of fun stuff has been going on here lately. More to come! What have you been working on lately?

1 comment :

Valentina Fussell said...

These are so cute! I use Mr. Biv when organizing my closets! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails